Posted by Unicorn Goods
Worried about going vegan? No need! Eating vegan across the food pyramid has never been easier, from the bottom to the top.
While any food changes, whether it be phasing out dairy or taking the plunge and going vegan, take a bit to get used to, going vegan is easier than ever! Here are some tips on how to stay vegan while spicing up your meals!
These three condiments add tons of delicious flavor to food, including umami, which is the savory meat-y taste that many carnivores miss when they first cut out meat and dairy.
1. Bragg Nutritional Yeast- aka "nooch," high in B vitamins and doubles as a parmesan cheese substitute
2. Bragg Liquid Aminos- to the vegan community this is simply "Bragg's," it tastes just like soy sauce and provides amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins
3. Hampton Creek Just Mayo- tastes better than Mayonaise
Pump It Up
If you're worried about not getting enough protein (which you shouldn't be) or if you exercise and are looking for tasty snacks, these products are all vegan and deliver high amounts of protein.
1. Larry & Lenny's Complete Cookie- this has 16 grams of protein
2. Primal Strips- a meatless jerky that comes in six flavors
3. Orgain Vegan Nutritional Shake- comes in individual drinkable-on-the-go sizes
The (Not So) Naughty List
Even if you're cutting out the meat and dairy, you can still have the sweet treats and guilty pleasures that you crave from time to time. Look out for processed by-products of meat and dairy and animal-based byproducts that like to hide in your usual supermarket fare: gelatin, glycerin, whey, and confectioner's glaze to name a few. Now more than ever, there is a plethora of food products that are high quality and free of animal products. Our personal favorites are:
1. Dandies Marshmallows- since normal marshmallows contain gelatin
2. No Whey Foods Choco No Nos- an M&M-like candy
3. OCHO Coconut Minis- a Mounds-like snackable mini candy bar
4. Surf Sweets Organic Fruity Bears- a Gummy Bears-like candy
5. Endangered Species Hazelnut Spread- similar to Nutella, which has dairy
6. Cherrybrook Kitchen Gluten Free Pancake and Waffle Mix- great it you have kids, just add Earth Balance margarine and water; this is the best mix around, crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside
Posted by Paula Abarca
Counterculture such as veganism is slowly becoming mainstream. Here at Unicorn Good we strive to make sure that vegan fashion becomes mainstream. You can be animal friendly in your fashion choices while still keeping up with the trends. Find out more here.
To shop fashion forward vegan items check us out here.
Posted by Unicorn Goods
We've teamed up with Urbanette, the first online magazine, to bring you the top travel destinations for vegans in the United States. From Puerto Rico to Puget Sound, you can plan your next trip and shop our edits for that destination.
Urbanette donates 100% of proceeds to charity and is run by vegan Hilary Rowland out of New York City. Urbanette features a lot of vegan-friendly content for vegans and nonvegans who just want to live more ethically without sacrificing time, style or ethics.